So far I’ve been steaming all of my eco bundles.
But then the wonderful Monika of Red2White suggested boiling them to actually get proper leaf prints.
I was a little sceptical of boiling to start with because when I was dyeing with the different flowers I didn’t want to get muddled brown. I wanted distinct colour impressions.
But for leaf prints, I realized, I wanted the shape and texture not really the colour so much so it didn’t matter if it got muddled.
I had pressed some leaves and gathered fresh ones and laid them out on a 2 yard piece of flat crepe that I had.
There was a wonderful dark, left over, liquid from previous steamings in the dye pot. I topped this up with water and boiled some big rusty bits in it for a while and then took all but one out.
The crepe was bundled and wrapped tight with string and then popped into the murky muddle for about 3 1/2 – 4 hours. I don’t remember exactly.
It turned out wonderfully!
Close up of maple leaf
Close up of rose leaves and smoke bush leaves